Essex found the going increasingly tough during the inter-war years despite the stout efforts of skipper JWHT Douglas.
In 1922 the Club sold the ground at Leyton to the Army Sports Board and continued to play there, but in 1933 gave up the lease completely.
For over thirty years Essex had no headquarters. Instead they took the game around the county, playing two-match festival weeks at Brentwood, Chelmsford, Clacton, Colchester, Ilford, Romford, Southend and Westcliff, in what became known as 'The Essex Circus'.
With the lease at Leyton discontinued, Chelmsford became the Club’s new headquarters in 1934 – the year after Essex won 13 County Championship matches in a season, a number they have equalled but never beaten since.